Vegan Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
2 hours 5 mins
Vegan cinnamon roll pancakes made special with a yeasted, whole grain batter. Just 8 ingredients to fluffy, sweet, cinnamon-y pancakes that are perfect cozy breakfast on cold winter mornings.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Breakfast
For the Batter
2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
2.5 Tbsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 package (~2.5 tsp) rapid rise or active dry yeast*
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cups whole wheat pastry OR unbleached all purpose flour
For the Cinnamon Swirl
2.5 Tbsp pancake batter
1 Tbsp vegan butter, softened/melted
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
In a large mixing bowl in the microwave heat the almond milk and 2.5 Tbsp Earth Balance in 30 second increments, until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Alternatively, heat the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
Let mixture cool to 110 degrees, or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
Sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 2 Tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
Next add in flour 1/4 cup at a time, stirring as you go. If there’s a lot of lumps, use a whisk but so do gently and not vigorously. The batter will become sticky but it shouldn’t be like a dough. 1.5 cups should be the ideal amount, but add more if it appears too runny. It will resemble normal pancake batter. Thick but pourable.
Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for at least 1 hour if not 2, or until doubled in size. The batter will proof more quickly if you use rapid rise, but active dry works well too. It just takes a bit longer.
Once risen, gently scoop out 2.5 Tbsp of your batter and add 1 Tbsp melted vegan butter, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 3 Tbsp brown sugar. Thin it with almond milk if it’s too thick to pour. Whisk until well combined and add to a sandwich bag (which you’ll snip the corner off of) or a plastic squeeze bottle.
Preheat a griddle or large skillet to medium heat and lightly grease surface. Scoop on 1/4 cup measurements of batter and then swirl on the cinnamon sugar filling in a circle starting at the center and traveling out. It doesn’t have to be perfect – you could even make other shapes/designs.
Flip when bubbles form on top and the edges appear dry. Cook for 1-2 minutes more and transfer to a large plate or serving dish. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until serving.
Optional but recommended: Frost with dairy free cream cheese frosting or a mixture of 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp melted vegan butter and 1-2 Tbsp almond milk. I prefer a thicker glaze but make it as thin as you prefer. Or just top with maple syrup.
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to a few days. Move to the freezer in a freezer safe bag or container for longer term storage. These should reheat well in the microwave or toaster.
- doli-doll likes this
- lizzie1994styles13 reblogged this from mangoaway
- lizzie1994styles13 likes this
- mangoaway reblogged this from theparadisealley
- marco-polo117 reblogged this from healthislouder
- marco-polo117 likes this
- californyeahhh likes this
- starlightsofia likes this
- fightingtogetfitagain reblogged this from healthislouder
- healthislouder reblogged this from veganfeast
- kittnvomit likes this
- icanbeverything likes this
- veganbabeblr reblogged this from veganfeast
- writerwhocouldntwrite reblogged this from veganfeast
- lune-endormie likes this
- allusernamestakentho reblogged this from theparadisealley
- alinasshole likes this
- shatfancy reblogged this from jusdechatte
- poetktp likes this
- danielle-lemon likes this
- zigsquiddly likes this
- veganmangos likes this
- k4zemon reblogged this from jusdechatte
- butterflyscream likes this
- thekalecrusader likes this
- burymylovely likes this
- 666bunny420 likes this
- tonyvortex likes this
- rachealdavis reblogged this from jusdechatte
- princess-chai reblogged this from jusdechatte
- c-annibalism reblogged this from jusdechatte
- mabbittzombie reblogged this from jusdechatte
- jusdechatte reblogged this from goddess-evolution
- southernbellecityhippie likes this
- hannahstarr likes this
- explorblr likes this
- womaninmaking likes this
- heather-please likes this
- lifeisillmatic likes this
- sora-noodle likes this
- sixmore likes this
- annamarietea likes this
- blossomdujour likes this
- chronically-hungry reblogged this from from-meat-to-bean
- thecluelessvegan likes this
- goddess-evolution reblogged this from from-meat-to-bean
- civis-daedala likes this
- fabulousandvegan reblogged this from theparadisealley
- coffee-coma likes this